ECB's Weidmann sees inflation pressures remaining subdued
ECB gov council member and BUBA head Weidmann in scheduled speech 17 Nov
- German growth may be stronger than in BUBA's June f/c
- duration and strength of German recovery is impressive
- recovery has progressed more than inflation signals
- ECB proposals on NPLs are sensible
- Germany risks a drop in growth potential without reforms.
"Let me conclude.
After all, I would not want to evoke the feelings that a doctor once gave to a patient who craved immortality.
The doctor informed the patient that immortality was beyond the reach of medicine, but the patient was insistent:"Is there nothing I can do?"The doctor replied:"Well, there is one thing. You could marry an economist and move to North Dakota.""And that will make me immortal?""No.But that way, even six months will seem like an eternity."
Full speech here