ForexLive Asia FX news: NZD, AUD sneak a little higher
Forex and Bitcoin news for Asia trading Tuesday 13 March 2018
- PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 6.3218 (vs. yesterday at 6.3333)
- Australia February Business conditions 21 (prior 19) & Business confidence 9 (prior 12)
- Australian housing finance data (January): Home loans -1.1% m/m (expected -0.2%)
- Japan - PPI for February: +2.5% y/y (expected +2.5%)
- Japan finance minister Aso repeats apology, will cooperate with investigation
- RBNZ's Spencer says Bank to review macroprudential policies with Treasury
- Like a quick USD250K? Easy, provide info on cryptocurrency hackers and its yours
- US Sec State Tillerson - confident Russia responsible for poisoning incident
- Reuters launches bitcoin sentiment gauge for crypto traders
- Australia weekly consumer sentiment: 116.0 (prior 119.0)
- Japan finance minister Aso is considering not attending G20 meeting this month
- NZ food prices data for February fall 0.5% m/m (prior up 1.2%
- Central bank intervention in Monday trade confirmed, BCRA sold USD/ARS
- Euro zone creditors to disburse new loans to Greece in March - working on debt relief
- Trade ideas thread - Tuesday 13 March 2018
- And, more for the yen traders - levels to watch on Tuesday
- ICYMI: ForexLive Americas FX news wrap: US dollar grinds lower
The Australian dollar was helped along by some data today. January home loans were not the focus, it was the NAB business survey for February. Business 'Conditions' recorded an all-time high, while confidence dropped a couple of points. Conditions is a more objective measure than confidence, and the market liked the result. Still, movement was small, AUD/USD climbing past its overnight high toward 0.78890 before encountering resistance again. As I update its dropping back to be around the middle of its day's range so far.
NZD/USD has been a better performer, adding 20-odd points with little NZ-specific news nor data to go on today apart from a speech from RBNZ Gov. Spencer. & 'food price' inflation data.
USD/JPY lost a few points but has come back also to mid-range more or less. There was little fresh out of the land sale scandal and little else to drive it.
EUR, GBP, CHF CAD ... all little changed against the USD. Gold is farily net flat on the session also. BTCUSD tracked around 9000 USD, sitting mainly just above there.
Still to come:
- Option expiries of note for Tuesday March 13 2018 - New York cut
- US inflation data day - CPI due at 1230GMT Tuesday. Previews in one place
- 5 things to watch in the UK's Spring Statement due Tuesday
- Preview of what's coming up from the UK Tuesday - Hammond's Spring Statement