Theresa May: I'm proposing an implementation period under EU rules of around 2 years
Theresa May on the Brexit negotiations in Florence, Italy
- She basically trying to punt Brexit two years down the road
- We don't want off-the-shelf model for future relationship
- Canada model to restrictive for both economies, we can do so much better
- We don't want to stand in the way of EU reform and want to be a strong friend
- We need to move on to talk about future relationship
- British people want to be a global trading nation
- British people want more direct control in decisions that will affect them
- Will not put physical infrastructure on Irish border
- We want to work hand-in-hand with the EU
- Trade disputes can't be resolved by ECJ or UK courts
- Our fundamentals are strong
The implementation period was leaked/rumored earlier today.
She argued for a 'creative' deal about 10 times. I mean, we're talking about buying and selling things from each other, how creative can you be?
She dangled a carrot about security and the huge UK defense budget.
Verdict: This speech had very little substance. She said she wanted a transition period of about 2 years.