BOJ's Amamiya says that central banks should be more attentive to innovation
BOJ deputy governor Amamiya is speaking on fintech
- Authorities need to carefully examine HFTs
- Need to examine how it uses algos to influence price formation, market volatility and liquidity
- Need to understand innovative technologies for maintaining financial stability
- Seeking possibility to apply them to central bank infrastructure in the future
- BOJ has no plans to issue its own digital currency at this juncture
Nothing else from Amamiya. He didn't mention anything on monetary policy, but offered little else in terms of the BOJ's adventures into fintech as well.
Probably the most important takeaway was that the BOJ isn't really looking to issue its own digital currency just yet - despite Japan being one of the more accepting nations on the matter.