The People's Bank of China set the onshore yuan (CNY) reference rate for the trading session ahead.
- USD/CNY is the onshore yuan. Its permitted to trade plus or minus 2% from this daily reference rate.
- CNH is the offshore yuan. USD /CNH has no restrictions on its trading range.
- A significantly stronger or weaker rate than expected is typically considered a signal from the PBOC.
The previous close was 7.3350
The difference between the modelled estimate and the setting from the PBoC is an enormous 1289 points. A blowout and indicative of the PBoC not giving up on slowing the fall in the RMB.
more to come
PBOC injects 215bn yuan in open market operations (OMOs) via 7-day reverse repos (RRs) at an unchanged rate of 1.8%
- 12bn yuan of RRs mature today
- thus a net 203bn yuan injection on the day in OMOs