Down from prior month
The Markit Canada Manufacturing index fell to 54.7 vs 55.1. A reading above 50 is expansionary.
- Was the 16 consecutive month of expansion
- New orders fell to 55.1 vs 55.7. Lowest reading since Jan 2017
- Employment fell vs prior month. Lowest since March 2017
- Manufacturing production volumes expanded for the eighth month running in June, which marked the longest period of sustained growth since the start of 2015.
- New business growth slowed to its weakest since the start of 2017, with the loss of momentum concentrated in domestic markets
- Export sales growth edged up to its strongest since November 2014. A number of manufacturers commented on rising demand from U.S. clients.
The index is lower but it remains well above the 50.0 level.