Canada Q4 current account data
- Prior was -$7.53B
- The deficit in trade in goods and services dropped $421 million to $9.2 billion
- Direct investment in Canada amounted to $2.5 billion in the fourth quarter-the lowest level in nine years
- Canadian investors acquired an unprecedented $42.5 billion of foreign securities in the fourth quarter. This activity was led by record purchases of foreign-predominantly US-shares, totaling $35.4 billion
- Foreign investment in Canadian securities was $23.8 billion in the fourth quarter, up from $11.8 billion in the third quarter.
- The annual current account deficit dropped $4.7 billion to $42.7 billion in 2020
I suspect we will second fresh records in this series before long, unless oil prices keep on rising.