EU's Tusk: Brexit extension is 'flexible'
Comments by European Council president, Donald Tusk, in Strasbourg
- Urges the UK to use extra time in the best way possible
- Says that there will be no re-opening of withdrawal agreement
- Says EU27 can make changes to the political declaration
- Says that he and others involved are 'exhausted' with Brexit
- But says that exhaustion is not a reason to say 'just get over with it'
By 'flexible', I reckon he means that they can cut it short should the UK reach a majority on some form of a Brexit deal. But it wouldn't surprise me if the can gets kicked down the road again in the next few months.
They basically granted the UK an extension to October based on hope and to avoid a no-deal Brexit outcome. That's a message that the same can be done again when we meet the same dead end in October.