ForexLive Asia FX news wrap: Trump, Liu He to meet Friday
Forex news for Asia trading Friday 11 October 2019
- ICYMI - NYT on US officials weighing options to inflict additional economic pain on China
- Here is a who's who in the Chinese trade delegation to Washington
- Trade talks news - Trump and China's Liu He to meet on Friday (1845GMT)
- USD to remain relatively strong - quick video
- Japan press report the US is concerned about Chinese military build-up in the South Pacific
- PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 7.0727 (vs. yesterday at 7.0730)
- FX option expiries for Friday October 11 at the 10am NY cut
- Super typhoon expected to hit Japan on Saturday
- Heads up for weekend trade talks in Asia -
- Heads up for some comments from BOJ Gov Kuroda to come (0530GMT)
- Fed's Mester - more: Risks to economy stem from decline in business investment
- Fed's Kashkari says if data continues weaker another rate cut warranted
- White house official says trade talks going 'probably better than expected'
- Just waking up? Seeing cable on 1.24? Here's why (spoiler - Brexit breakthrough).
- More from Fed's Mester - says not so concerned on yield curve inversion
- Brexit: UK N. Ireland minister says mood, developments are really, really positive
- Fed's Mester: Economy continues to perform well
- New Zealand - BusinessNZ manufacturing PMI for September: 48.4 (prior 48.4)
- Here is what a US-China 'currency pact' would mean for the dollar and the yuan
- Trade ideas thread - Friday 11 October 2019
- Trump says China talks went very well today
We had very little information on progress at the US/China trade talks apart from President Trump saying they were going well, backed up a White House spokesman saying the same ("better than probably expected'). As the headline to this post says, US President Trump and China's lead negotiator Liu he will meet Friday afternoon in Washington (at 1845GMT).
Forex movement in response was mild indeed. USD/JPY made a fresh high compared with overnight trade, popping to highs circa 108.13 before slipping back under the figure. Its circa 108 as I update. USD/CHF is up also, its nudging its overnight high as I post.
AUD moved slowly higher, adding on 25 or points from its session low to hit highs around 0.6780. NZD is up a little alongside.
We had comments from Fed officials Mester and Kashkari. These two tend towards opposite ends of the dove-hawk spectrum at the FOMC and their comments illustrated this, K more dovish than M, but both were measured.
President Trump addressed a rally of supporters, there was little of substance in it for markets.
EUR/USD is a few points higher on the session. After its big surge overnight GBP flat-lined. CAD is barely changed against the big dollar, gold is little changed also.