ForexLive Asia FX news: Small ranges for the first session of the new week
Forex and Bitcoin news for Asia trading Monday 14 May 2018
But first - check this out ladies and gentlemen!
- CFTC data on leveraged & real money FX positioning
- Norway central bank head says will soon be time to hike rates
- W/e comments from UK PM May - says committed to ensuring Iran deal is upheld
- USD/JPY 108.50-110.50 range for the week?
- China - PBOC injects funds using LMF (156bn yuan for 1 year)
- PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 6.3345 (Friday was 6.3524)
- Japan data - PPI for April +2.0% y/y (in line with the expected at +2.0%)
- Comments on gold (basing) and what its correlation with EUR means for EUR/USD direction
- Italy - why a renewed push to leave the euro-zone is not out of the question
- US President Trump says he wants to help save Chinese company ZTE
- W/e: US threatens to impose sanctions on European companies that do business with Iran
- Financial Times reports on HSBC trade finance deal in blockchain
- Outlook for AUD this week - and an AUD/CHF trade idea. (Also, on USD/CHF)
- Trade ideas thread - Monday 14 May 2018
- Italy - 5 Star, League reach likely deal to form government
- Brexit: French Fgn Min says June is 'ultimate deadline' for progress on Northern Ireland
- NAFTA: Trudeau says he remains optimistic an agreement can be reached
- Morgan Stanley says it's the time to buy USD/CAD
Currencies maintained limited ranges for Monday here in Asia with not too much in the way of fresh drivers to hit over the weekend.
Asian currencies were active, though:
- PHP hit a 12 month low
- The Malaysian Ringgit fell at the opening of the week's trade but has bounced (response to
Justin's day offthe Malaysian election) and Malay stocks hit a 4-month low)
OK, back to the others. Like the title says, small ranges. The USD a touch weaker with the CPI data from late last week cited as a weight still. EUR/USD tested its Friday high above 1.1965. AUD/USD was also a tad up on the session, getting above 0.7560 at one stage. EUR/JPY edged a bit higher, USD/JPY little changed at all on the session net.
USD/CAD dropped in the early movements, the NAFTA headline impacting (see bullets above)
Still to come: