ForexLive Asia FX news wrap:
Forex news for Asia trading Tuesday 24 September 2019
- China state planners vice chair says will step up efforts to stabilise economic growth
- PBOC Gov. Yi: Overall financing costs for firms down 1% from last year
- Japan foreign minister says trade negotiations with the US complete, signing mid-week
- US media - senior Democrats pondering if time has come to impeach President Trump
- People’s Bank of China says it has ample monetary policy tools
- Japan media report US-Japan trade deal will have no extra auto tariff
- PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 7.0729 (vs. yesterday at 7.0734)
- Japan economy minister says he understands Japan-US trade talks in final stages
- Japan preliminary PMIs (September): Manufacturing 48.9 (prior 49.3) & Services 52.8 (prior 53.3)
- Here's how Euro zone banks have blunted ECB stimulus efforts
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says he thinks trade talks with China will resume in 2 weeks
- Australia - ANZ Roy Morgan Weekly Consumer Confidence: 110.1 (prior was an ugly 109.3)
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says most important China issue is intellectual property
- US equity futures re-open - 'flash smash' higher
- A very quick snippet on why the US dollar is more attractive than the euro and yen
- Here is why gold (and precious metals) could still have some room to the upside
- US President Trump says we are getting along well with North Korea
- UK PM Johnson paints a rosy picture of post-Brexit UK
- Moody's says Australian bank profitability will weaken
- 7 factors buttressing the bullish gold market environment
- Trump says China has committed to buy a lot of US agricultural goods
- Brexit - UK govt official says Nth Ireland only backstop not acceptable
- Mnuchin says Chinese delegation visit to the US farm states was delayed at the request of the US
- Trade ideas thread - Tuesday 24 September 2019
- US President Trump: "We are doing well with China"
- If you see a headline about Powell stepping down its not about Fed chair Powell
- UK, Germany, France say its clear Iran was responsible for the attack on Saudi oil facility
A subdued day for news, data and currency movement here in Asia.
US President Trump and US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin both had remarks reported, but both made general, non-specific comments only along familiar lines - everything is fine with China talks etc. China's Liu he is back in Washington on October 10 and 11 for talks so until then its unlikely we get anything much in the way of specifics. If past experience is anything to go bu a generally positive modd should prevail up until then and then. Again if past experience is anything to go by, a disappointing reality should slap markets in the face.
Having said this, during the session here today the Japanese foreign minister said a US-Japan trade deal will be signed on Wednesday, agreement has been reached, and talks have concluded.
If you scan across forex majors you will note some minor movement and net little change since US afternoon trade. Coming up later we get some central bank speak:
- BOJ Kuroda at 0530GMT (and again at 0730GMT)
- RBA Lowe at 1005GMT
Still to come:
- Heads up for BOJ Governor Kuroda to speak later today
- RBA Gov Lowe speaks Tuesday, London time. QE comments on the agenda?
- FX option expiries for Tuesday September 24 at the 10am NY cut
- RBNZ meeting tomorrow - where to for the NZD
- RBNZ 25th September monetary policy announcement - preview