German econ min: EU-US must urgently start talk on trade deal
Comments from Germany's economy minister Altmaier:
- US-EU agreement should abolish all tariffs for industrial goods
- China and Europe are economic partners but also competitors
- German companies need level playing field in China, will raise issue in talks in Beijing this week
- Europe and China agree that WTO's body for dispute settlement must continue to work despite US block
- Protection of IP and steel overcapacity must also be discussed with China
Lots of the usual talking points there but what stands out for me is the German desire for a trade deal with the US.