Germany's Merkel says there was a very fundamental discussion at NATO summit
German chancellor Angela Merkel speaks in Brussels
- German boost in defense spending is well under way
- Made clear that Germany has to do more
- European allies have made clear that they are responding to a new security situation
- Says "we had a very intense summit"
- Trump demanded a change in burden sharing in NATO
- The result is a clear commitment from everyone
- Security is a different issue from trade and tariff discussions
Seems like there was some give and take in the end between Trump and the other members present at the summit. High tensions, but at the end it's all a storm in a teacup.
Trump is scheduled to make a statement shortly on the NATO situation, according to a White House spokesman.