The earlier headlines are here: US Appeals Court upholds suspension of Trump travel ban
Now that the dust has settled a bit, and emotions have (maybe) cooled (check out the comments to that post :-D )
Major points (via Reuters, more there)
- A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that the Trump administration failed to offer any evidence that national security concerns justified immediately restoring the ban
- The 9th Circuit ruling, upholding last Friday's decision by U.S. District Judge James Robart, does not resolve the lawsuit
- It relates only to whether to lift an emergency halt to Trump's order put in place by a lower court
- The judges said more briefing would be needed to decide the actual fate of Trump's order
- The states of Washington and Minnesota challenged Trump's order
- The two states argued that Trump's ban violated constitutional protections against religious discrimination
- Trump tweeted after the announcement: "SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"
- He told reporters his administration ultimately would win the case and dismissed the ruling as "political"
- Asked about Trump's tweet, Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson said: "We have seen him in court twice, and we're two for two."