UK government confirms that talks with Labour end without a Brexit deal
UK government spokesman comments
- Says that government and Labour cannot reach 'complete agreement'
- Says May will continue to try and deliver Brexit
- May will try to pass the withdrawal agreement bill in parliament
- No decision has been reached on indicative votes
- Says that it was absolutely in national interest to hold talks with Labour party
Alas, we've come to this point. However, despite Brexit talks not working out there's still the possibility of the government engaging in talks with Labour over the indicative votes process. That will be seen as the next plausible step to try and break the Brexit deadlock but there's no guarantee that it will work since there's added risk for both sides if we do get there.
Cable continues to hold near session lows at 1.2757 currently, with EUR/GBP hovering near session highs at 0.8755 at the moment.