UK's Walker: Optimistic that breakthrough in Brexit talks will happen soon
Comments by UK junior Brexit minister, Robin Walker
- Brexit negotiations on details are constructive
- There is agreement on more than 95% of the Brexit deal
- Currently discussing how to avoid hard border between Ireland and N. Ireland
- One scenario is Britain remaining in customs union after end of transition period
- This period would be time-limited
- Doesn't believe a disorderly Brexit is likely
Is this fella still living in the past? Because his comments here are what could has been said and discussed more than a month ago - especially that on the Irish border/backstop. Him insisting that it would be time-limited means that the EU would just outright reject that option so I'm not too sure what he's getting at here.
Either way, it's not going to help the pound as long as comments by officials continue to go nowhere. GBP/USD still sitting near the lows at 1.3020 now. EUR/GBP at 0.8710 near the highs and GBP/JPY also near the lows at 148.22.