University of Michigan consumer sentiment for May(P) 102.4 versus 97.2 estimate
University of Michigan consumer sentiment for May 2019
Big beat in the University of Michigan's consumer sentiment for May
- sentiment index 102.4 versus 97.2
- current conditions 112.4 versus 112.2 estimate. Up from 112.3
- expectations index 96.0 versus 86.8 estimate. Last month 87.4
- 1 year inflation 2.8% versus 2.5%
- 5-10 year inflation 2.6% versus 2.3%
The numbers are much better than expectations. The sentiment index the highest since 2004 (see chart above).
For the expectations index, it too is at the highest levels since 2004 (see chart below).