US housing starts for May 1350K vs. 1311K expected. Building permits 1301K vs. 1350K expected
US housing starts and building permits for May 2018.
The data for US housing starts and building permits shows:
- housing starts came in better-than-expected 1350K versus 1311K expected. The prior month was revised slightly lower to 1286K from 1287K
- building permits were weaker than expected at 1301K versus 1350K expected. The prior month stayed steady at 1364K.
- housing starts rose 5% on the month after declining -3.1% last month
- building permits fell -4.6% after a -0.9% decline last month
- single-family starts rose 3.9% to 936,000 units.
- Multi family starts rose 7.5% to 414,000 units
- single-family permits fell -2.2% to 844,000 units.
- Multifamily permits fell -8.8% to 457, 000 units
The housing starts are new 11 year highs.