US initial jobless claims 250K versus 241K estimate
Continuing claims 1914K versus 1925K estimate
The initial jobless claims for the current week came in at 250K vs 241K.
- Continuing claims 1914K versus 1925K estimate
- jobless claims from the prior week revised a touch higher at 247K versus 245K initially reported
- Continuing claims revised from 1943K to 1951K
- Claims taking procedures continue to be disrupted in the Virgin Islands. The claims taking process in Puerto Rico has
still not returned to normal.
- Claims that it can be influenced by nuances from holidays and seasonal adjustments. They have trended higher over the last few weeks with the 4-week MA coming in at 241.75K vs 238.25K last week. The next few weeks should give a better reading of the trends.
- The largest increases in initial claims for the week ending December 23 were in Kentucky (+9,063), Pennsylvania (+3,590), New Jersey (+3,086), Missouri (+3,038), and New York (+2,611),
- The largest decreases were in
California (-2,482), Puerto Rico (-1,556), Florida (-361), Minnesota (-357), and Arizona (-320).