US initial jobless claims 400K vs 382K estimate
Weekly US initial jobless claims and continuing claims
- prior week 424K vs 419K previously reported
- initial jobless claims 400K vs 382K estimate
- four-week moving average initial jobless claims 394.5 K versus 386.5 K last week
- continuing claims 3269K versus 3262K last week
- four-week moving average continued climbs 3290.75K versus 3344.5K last week
- The largest increases in initial claims for the week ending July 17 were in Michigan (+13,547), Texas (+10,730), Kentucky (+8,945), Missouri (+6,056), and Illinois (+3,915),
- the largest decreases were in New York (-10,727),
Puerto Rico (-3,904), Tennessee (-3,510), Oklahoma (-3,393), and Georgia (-1,870).
Last week was the survey week for next week's BLS employment report. The 419K number initially reported last week was revised higher to 424K . The expectations last week was down at 350K so the number is not great if it indeed is a leading indicator for the monthly employment number.