US January Empire Fed manufacturing index 17.7 vs 19.0 expected
Manufacturing data for the New York area
- Prior was 18.0
- Employment 3.8 vs 22.9 in Dec
- New orders 11.9 vs 19.0 in Dec
- Prices paid 36.2 vs 29.7 prior
- Six months conditions 48.6 vs 46.3 prior
- Inventories 13.8 vs 1.4 prior
Slightly lower on the headline but some of the key sub-indexes are much worse. The jump in prices paid could be a sign of things to come, especially with WTI at $64.
"Firms remained very optimistic about future business conditions and capital spending plans were robust," the report said.