- ECB President Christine Lagarde speaking Monday, 4 September 2023, also Lane and Panetta
- Hong Kong's Hang Seng higher following news that Country Garden extends bond deadline
- China state planner says will set up a special bureau for development of private economy
- BlackRock's Rieder thinks there will be no further Federal Reserve FOMC rate hikes
- Australian Q2 2023 Business Inventories -1.9% q/q (vs. expected +0.4%)
- PBOC sets USD/ CNY reference rate for today at 7.1786 (vs. estimate at 7.2795)
- Australian Melbourne Institute Inflation for August 2023: 0.2% m/m (prior 0.8%)
- Moody's cut its China economic growth forecast for 2024 to 4% (from 4.5% previously)
- Coming up from the RBA - Policy statement on September 5, Governor Lowe speaks on Sep 7
- Nouriel Roubini says an equity market drop of 10% is not "totally unlikely"
- 'Fed Watch' tool now shows more than 90% chance the FOMC remains on hold in September
- Japan August monetary base +1.2% y/y (prior -1.3%)
- Morgan Stanley forecasting that the European Central Bank will stop raising interest rates
- New Zealand Q2 terms of trade +0.4% q/q (expected -1.3%)
- USD/JPY is steady above 146.00 as early Tokyo opens following Friday's wild ride
- Reserve Bank of Australia September meeting coming up on Tuesday, hold expected - Preview
- ICYMI - Saudi Arabia’s Aramco considers selling (listing) US$50 Billion in shares
- Weekend - China's Xi said China would widen market access in the service industry
- EU's Gentiloni said he is confident a budget rule deal will be reached by end2023 deadline
- Its US Labor Day holiday Monday, 4 September 2023 - here are the CME Globex trading hours
- ECB's Wunsch says underlying inflation remains persistent, may need more rate hikes
- Trade ideas thread - Monday, 4 September 2023
- Monday morning open levels - indicative forex prices - 04 September 2023
- Veloce To Deploy Vext On Polygon - Becoming First Decentralised Global Sporting Group
- Weekly Market Outlook (04-08 September)
- Newsquawk week ahead: Highlights include RBA, BoC, US ISM services PMI and China trade
- Forexlive Americas FX news wrap: US unemployment rate jumps
Hong Kong listed Chinese property developer shares rose strongly during the session with news over the weekend that deeply indebted Country Garden Holdings had been given approval to extend payments for an onshore private bond. The fate of an offshore bond due later this week remains unknown.
The jump for property stocks dragged wider indexes higher also. As I update Hong Kong’s Hang Seng is more than 2.5% higher for the session while the Shanghai Composite has risen more than 1%.
Major forex rates have traded in mainly small ranges. The Australian dollar has risen. We had monthly inflation readings from Australia today (see bullets above) that were subdued m/m. Quarterly business inventory data were released and will detract from Q2 GDP.
As a reminder, if you need one, US and Canadian markets are closed today. Globex hours as follows: