CFTC Commitments of Traders: Pound shorts squeezed out
Futures market speculative positioning data from the CFTC Commitments of Traders report as of the close on Tuesday, Sept 17, 2013:
- EUR net long 32k vs long 12k prior
- JPY net short 89K vs short 95K prior
- GBP net short 6K vs short 38K prior
- AUD net short 27K vs short 60K prior
- CAD net short 19K vs short 31K prior
- CHF net long 1k vs long 0K prior
- NZD net long 5k vs long 0K prior
- Dollar Index net long 22K vs 21K prior
What jumps out to me is the pound. The considerable short interest was squeezed out before the Fed decision and the remainder was assuredly taken out afterwards. That means the easy gains for the pound are in the rearview mirror.
It also shows why the euro reacted less aggressively to the anti-taper.