German DAX, +0.2%. France's CAC unchanged,
The major European shares are closing the day with mixed results. The provisional closes are showing:
- German DAX, -0.2%
- France's CAC unchanged
- UK's FTSE 100, -0.4%
- Spain's Ibex, +0.2%
- Italy's FTSE MIB, +0.1%
in the European debt market, the benchmark 10 year yields are lower with the UK 10 year down -4.5 basis points.
A snapshot of the US stock market as traders prepare for Fed chair Powell speaking at the top of the hour:
- S&P index +5 points or 0.13% at 3824.91
- NASDAQ index -25 points or -0.17% at 12970
- Dow industrial average up 76 points or 0.24% at 31347
In the US debt market, yields are marginally lower, with the 30 year bond yield is down -2.1 basis points:
In the forex market, the CAD has moved to the strongest of the majors. The CHF remains the weakest followed closely by the JPY. The USD remains mixed but has shifted a little more to the weaker bias. Nevertheless it remains higher vs. a CHF, JPY and EUR, and lower worsening CAD, AUD, NZD and GBP.
In other markets:
- spot gold is up $5.60 or 0.33% $1716.82.
- Spot silver is up $0.06 or 0.23% $26.16.
- WTI crude oil futures are soaring by $3.17 or 5.16% to $64.45
- the price of bitcoin is trading down $1120 or -2.2% at $49,831