USD mixed at the start of the day
The tweaking of the bond purchase operation from the BOJ sent the JPY sharply higher and as a result, that currency is the strongest of the day. The CHF is the weakest. The USD is mixed. It is lower vs. the JPY and the NZD, unchanged vs the CAD and up vs the EUR, GBP, CHF and AUD.
The price action outlined in the chart below, shows that the JPY pairs are depressed with most trading near low levels on the day. The GBPJPY and EURJPY are down -110 pips and -95 pips. The trading ranges are fairly strong relatively to the 22-day average trading ranges with the EURJPY and GBPJPY trading well above their averages.
In other markets, a snapshot shows:
- Spot gold is down $-6.27 or -0.47% at $1314.20
- WTI crude oil futures are trading up $.40 or 0.65% at $62.13
- US stocks in premarket trading are a bit higher with the Dow futures up 47 points. The S&P futures up two points and the NASDAQ futures up 9.75 points
- US yields are mixed: 2-year 1.9479%, -1.0 basis points. 5 year 2.2837%, -0.3 basis points. 10 year 2.4873%, +0.7 basis points. 30 year 2.8317%, up two basis points.
- European yields are mostly lower in the 10 year sector. Germany 0.49%, -1.2 basis points. France 0.767%, -2.2 basis points. UK 1.238%, unchanged. Spain 1.460%, -2.2 basis points. Italy 1.961%, -2.3 basis points
- European major stock indices: German DAX up 0.27%. France's CAC up 0.53%. UK FTSE up 0.41%. Spain's Ibex up 0.5%. Italy's FTSE MIB up 0.72%
- CME Bitcoin is lower by -1.24%. Ripple is down more trading at $2.16 at -12%