Comments from Kozo Yamamoto, a leading expert on monetary policy in Abe's ruling Liberal Democratic Party, speaking in an interview with Reuters:
- The Bank of Japan must ease monetary policy further at its rate review on April 30
- Signs of slowdown in the economy and prices
- "The economy is at a standstill and prices are seen falling ahead. To do nothing isn't an option for the BOJ,"
- "Further monetary easing is absolutely essential to ensure that the Japanese don't slip back to a deflationary mindset"
- BOJ ought to wait until its rate review on April 30, instead of the upcoming one on April 7-8, in acting because that is when the bank reviews its long-term economic and price forecasts
Yamamoto is among Abe's advisers on economic affairs