Major indices lower on the day.
The US major indices close lower in last trading day of the month, but that did not subtract from the month's solid performance:
- the Dow industrial average had its best monthly performance since January 1987
- the S&P 500 and NASDAQ had their best months since April
- the S&P, NASDAQ, and Dow industrial average all closed at all time high prices this month (the NASDAQ and S&P closed at all-time highs on Friday)
- today the NASDAQ snapped it's a 4 day winning streak
- The Dow reached the 30,000 milestone before backing off the last few days of the month
A look at the market at the close shows:
- The S&P fell -16.72 points or -0.46% to 3621.67
- The NASDAQ index fell -7.109 points or -0.06% to 12198.73
- The Dow fell -271.73 points or -0.91% to 29638.64.
For the month of November:
- The S&P rose 10.76%
- The Nasdaq rose 11.8%
- The Dow rose 11.84%.
For the year (with one month to go), the NASDAQ still leads the charge by a lot:
- The S&P index is up 12.1%
- The Nasdaq is up 35.96%
- The Dow is up 3.86%.
The new all time high prices for the major indices are at:
- NASDAQ index, 12244.64 reached today. The new all time high close is 12205.85
- S&P index all-time high price is 3645.99.. The new all time high close is 3638.35
- Dow industrial average all time high price is now 30116.51. The new all time high close is 30046.24