Fed's Barkin: If labour market takes longer to recover, tapering goes a little later
Remarks by Richmond Fed president, Thomas Barkin
- If labour market can clear relatively quickly, then maybe it can happen sooner
- But now is not the time yet to call an end to bond purchases
- Hopes that can reach that point "relatively soon"
- The pandemic has at least one more chapter to go
- Once supply-chain-driven surge in inflation is through, there will be a reversion
- Full interview
A fair assessment on the balance of things by Barkin, who isn't a voting member in the FOMC this year. He also refuses to comment on his views on rate projection in the WSJ interview, saying that it would be inconsistent with the Fed's framework. Fair enough.