More from Fed's Williams, comments on trade war impact
Williams speaking at an event in NY
- Can be lots of ambiguity in economic data
When asked about trade war effects:
- says so far US tariffs do not have big effect on overall growth, inflation
- bigger effect of higher US tariffs is uncertainty for businesses
- hearing some businesses stepping back from investments; likely slows economy a bit
- 'relatively small' direct effect on economy of tariffs so far; the real worry is 'full blown trade war'