Preview - RBNZ monetary policy decision and statement due at 0100 GMT on Wednesday 24 February 2021

Author: Eamonn Sheridan | Category: Central Banks

Previews posted earlier are here:

Slotting in a couple of other quick snippets, with a focus on what to watch for the kiwi $

BNZ:
  • We think it's likely the Bank reaffirms, at this stage, that it will buy bonds under its QE programme until June 2022, and there is a chance the MPC guides the market towards expecting some further gradual tapering in the pace of purchases this year. 
  • The Bank will want to avoid a post-MPS surge in the NZD, but as we have seen post the RBA's overtly dovish early-February Statement, the Bank's ability to hold back the NZD is limited, if not non-existent, against the backdrop of the global reflation trade.
CBA:
  • Orr is likely to talk up the risks and uncertainties ahead
  • The risk is the NZD ... fall briefly post-meeting because of the RBNZ's dovish assessment
Previews posted earlier are here:

Invest in yourself. See our forex education hub.
By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Notice and Terms of Service. More information about cookiesClose