A big Wednesday coming up in China - Q1 GDP preview
January to March economic growth data coming up from China on Wednesday 17 April 2019.
GDP q/q is expected at 1.4% (from the previous 1.4%
- and 6.3% y/y (from previous 6.4%)
Citi expect 6.2% y/y for Q1, but also a pip higher (6.3%), citing:
- start of the year 'largely solid' for the economy so far
- defying hard landing concern
- Despite external headwinds, domestic demand largely held up in Q1
- FAI investment robust
- consumption did not deteriorate much
In addition to the GDP data we get 'activity data' from March:
- retail sales,
- industrial production
- and investment.
I'll have more to come on these separately
Graph via the Nikkei: