ECB's Lane: Central bank will have new comprehensive forecasts in March
ECB governing council member and newly appointed chief economic, Philip Lane, speaks in Hong Kong
- ECB has acknowledged movement of risks towards the downside
- ECB to take a measured approach on incoming data
- ECB has data-dependent perspective on monetary policy
- Important to recognise ECB policy provides a lot of support
- Europe's domestic engine remains 'pretty strong'
Well, new forecasts need not necessarily mean a change in rate guidance but we'll see. Either way, if economic data continues to trend downwards in the next month then it's likely markets will begin to price in a more dovish ECB by the time the March meeting hits.