Forexlive Americas FX news wrap: Quiet session relatively as markets take a breathe
Forex news for NY trading on March 30, 2020.
- US stocks close near session highs. Solid day higher.
- House majority leader Pelosi: Next coronavirus bill would be about "recovery"
- WTI crude oil futures settle at $20.09
- New Jersey coronavirus cases jump to 16,636
- France reports 3024 coronavirus hospital deaths
- NY Governor Cuomo holds his daily press conference
- Fed's Bostic: Fed goal to ensure financial markets keep functioning
- US CDC coronavirus cases rises to 140,904 vs 122,653 yesterday
- Italy reports the lowest number of new cases in nearly 2 weeks
- The revised UK official count shows deaths at 1408 versus 1228 yesterday
- European major indices end the session with mostly gains. Spain's Ibex down however
- Lombardy region in Italy death toll +458 vs +416 Sunday
- Dallas Fed March manufacturing index -70.0 vs +1.2 in Feb
- UK coronavirus deaths rise 180 to 1415 but watch out for a jump in the days ahead
- US Feb pending home sales +2.4% vs -2.0% expected
- Trump says he plans a call with Putin today to discuss oil
- The USD is the strongest and the CAD is the weakest as NA traders enter for the day
- Dollar’s “historic rally is not quite over” -- Goldman Sachs
I know gains of 3.3% to 3.6% in the broad stock indices are not exactly quiet, but relatively, the stock market was more steady (albeit with a bid). In addition, the bond, gold and forex market were just a little less volatile. Even the VIX index, a measure of market volatility for stocks, fell by -8.46 points or -12.91%. It is still high historically at 57.08, but that is well off recent highs of over 85 (from March 18).
The "markets" may be influenced by month-end/quarter end flows that is expecting to see rebalancing into stocks and out of bonds (we saw that type of flows today). It may also be reflective of "the market" be more comfortable with the idea that monetary and fiscal policy has thrown everything at the problem and will therefore cushion the fall, and also that some coronavirus numbers showed a steadying/dip from high levels (from Italy, NY, the US). Now it is way too early to call it a day (way too early), but the "market" does have the right to be more "comfortable". The goal is to flatten the curve, not stop it in it's tracks. If that idea starts to show up, traders vision can be very forward looking, and that allows them to see a pin hole of light at the end of a dark tunnel.
Taking a look at the markets:
- Spot gold closed down about -$6.50 at $1621. The low reached $1611.93. The high was up at $1639.61
- WTI crude oil is still having some problems thinking about rallying. Pres. Trump talked with Russia's Putin today, but it seemed little progress was made with regard to the Russia/Saudi price war. The price is currently trading at $20.28 after closing at $20.09. Stocks will recover ahead of oil especially with the trajectory of the virus still with a ways to go (even in the best scenario) and a Oil War going on.
- EURUSD. The EURUSD fell below the 100 hour MA at the start of the 100 hour MA at 1.1043. The fall took the price to a 1.1009 area where floor was developed in the NY session. In the late afternoon today, the price moved away from the floor at 1.1009 and moved back above the 100 hour MA near the close. The 100 hour MA will be a barometer for the bulls/bears in the new trading day. If the price moves lower, a break below the 1.1009 would be more bearish. Move above the 100 hour MA and extend above the higher 100 day MA at 1.10776 and buyers will be more in control
- USDJPY. The USDJPY moved higher today after first extending below the 50% of the March trading range at 107.388 in the Asian session and failing. The rise took the price up to the 200 day MA at 108.293 and backed off. The pair id trading at 107.86 into the new trading day. That is between the 50% retracement below at 107.388 and the 200 day MA above at 108.29. Look for the pair to respect those levels, but to go with the break.
- USDCAD: The CAD was the weakest of the major currencies today. The run to the upside in the USDCAD (weaker CAD), saw the pair move up and test the 100 hour MA (at 1.41683 currently) and stalled. The move off the 100 hour MA lower has been modest. The 100 hour MA is still in play, and will be the barometer for the bulls and bears in the new day.
- AUDUSD: The AUD was the strongest of the major currencies today, but was marginally higher vs the USD. Looking at the chart below, the pair respected a swing level at 0.61827 and swing area at 0.61827 -995 (call it 0.6200). On the downside, a trend line is moving higher and converging to the aforementioned swing area. At some point the market needs make a decision to go higher (and move above the topside swing area), or go lower below the lower trend line. Look for the break and run.