Comments from Bank of England Chief Economist Andrew Haldane:
- Housing bubbles can be hard to identify
- Household debt may be an issue when rates rise
- Level of household debt remains a worry
- Some dissent about how useful forward guidance is
- Scope of disagreement likely to pick up as MPC comes closer to raising rates
- Cannot say if he’s likely to deviate from the pack or be in line
- Interest rates likely to rise gradually, not immediate
Looks like Carney might have to quell some dissent. Haldane joins the MPC in June.
Update: an earlier version of this story attributed the comment to Spencer Dale, we regret the error.