Japanese gross domestic product expanded for a fourth consecutive quarter at the end of 2016
The Q4 2016 data is here: Japan - Q4 preliminary GDP: 0.2% q/q (vs. expected +0.3%)
While we await some forex action in markets today, here's a look at Japan's economy from Bloomberg. Its not actually a glass half empty ... but close!
- Economy... real growth at 1 percent in 2016
- It may have reached top speed
- "Unless domestic private consumption picks up the economy is unlikely to gain traction," said Atsushi Takeda, an economist at Itochu Corp. in Tokyo.
- near-term growth depends on external demand and fiscal stimulus, economists say, meaning the upside and growth horizon are limited
- Japan also faces the risk that U.S. President Donald Trump's protectionist rhetoric is soon transformed into policy that disrupts global trade, while the effects of last year's stimulus are expected to fade by the second quarter of next year.
Check out the link for more
Even Mr. Glass Half Full has his off days.