Major indices end the session lower
The last day of the year was nothing to write home about with the major stock indices lower. However, stock investors cannot complain about the gains from 2017.
- The S&P index fell -13.90 points or -0.52% at 2673.64
- The Nasdaq composite index fell -46.77 points or -0.67% at 6903.39
- The Dow Industrial Average fell -118.29 points or -0.48% at 24719.22
For the year, the gains in the major indices are certainly nothing to complain about:
- The S&P index rose by 19.42%
- The NASDAQ composite index had the best gains at 28.24%
- The Dow industrial average increase by 25.08%
The Dow had 71 record closing highs in 2017
The S&P had 62 record closing highs in the year.
The Nasdaq had 72 record closing highs in 2017.
New 52 week highs today:
- Best Buy
The biggest gainer/loser on the Dow
- Boeing with 89.43% gain
- GE was the biggest loser falling 44.78%
On the S&P the biggest winner and loser shows:
- Align Technology was the biggest winner up 131.13%
- Range resources was the biggest loser at -50.35%
The chart below shows the point changes and the % changes of some of the major global stock indices (in their local currencies).