Weekend IMF Statement - growth risks 'tilted to the downside', govmts prepared to act
The communique from the IMF's International Monetary and Financial Committee
(the committee is the main advisory group for the IMF's member countries).
The gist of it:
- Global economic growth expected to firm from 2020
- But the risks remain tilted to the downside
IMF cites risks:
- trade tensions
- policy uncertainty
- sharp tightening of financial conditions against a backdrop of limited policy space
- high debt levels
- heightened financial vulnerabilities
But, don't lose sleep 'cause the governments are here to help, K:
- To protect the expansion, we will continue to mitigate risks, enhance resilience, and, if necessary, act promptly to shore up growth for the benefit of all
Full statement here: Communiqué of the Thirty-Ninth Meeting of the IMFC
If you need a stiff drink after reading this, go right ahead - its 5 o'clock somewhere.