US stock indices higher in early trade.
Facebook not doing too well, but appeasing criticism is a good thing long term
The US major stock indices are trading higher with mixed gains.
- The Dow is leading the way up 0.60% or up 157 points.
- The S&P is up 0.35% or up 9.5 points.
- The Nasdaq is up the least at 16 points or 0.24%
Facebook- a Nasdaq stock - is down about -4.2% on news that it was changing what we see on our feed. The info will be more focused on friends and family vs. stories of interest. The steps are in reaction to criticism of social media. Mark Zuckerberg said a resolution for 2018 was to "Fix Facebook". This is a step in that direction and may keep regulation off their back.
JP Morgan announced earnings with all the expected 4th quarter baggage, and its stock is up 1.19%.
Overachievers today include:
- Microsoft is up 0.97%
- Home Depot is up 1.81%
- Amazon is up 1.67%
- Twitter is up 5.77%
- Boeing is up 1.56%
- Morgan Stanley's up 1.07%
- Delta Airlines is up another 1.81% after rising sharply yesterday
- United Continental is also up another 1.18%
- Nvidia -0.57%
- Tesla down -0.96%
- First Solar down -3.28% (it rose sharply yesterday)
- Intuitive Surgical fell -1.04%
- Intel fell -0.55%
- AMD fell -2.15%
- Wells Fargo also announced earnings this morning. Expenses were higher than expectations and its stock is down -0.62%